Skip to main content

January Art Journaling Round Up

Well, it's been a mild January and I have started the year with a good blogging rhythm.  I started off the year with a bit of a style update on my website and am doing some market research for art journaling courses near me.  I have been running courses in the community for several years and am hoping to offer them to more people this year both online and in Flintshire.

I started my January blogging by looking at how art journaling might help during grieving.  Grieving is such a deeply personal process it seems art journaling would be a cathartic activity for exploring the source of grief.  Others have written more in depth about the grieving process itself and how to make a grief journal.

Next up I wrote about background techniques you can use in your art journal.  Background techniques are a great opportunity to have fun, experiment, be spontaneous and even messy.  I love them!  There are other great tutorials on the web with extra helpful tips and a pallet knife technique.  And here's an interesting post on how background techniques affect an artist's muse and an inspiring post about using gel medium as a resist.

A lot of people think of themselves as non-artist but they couldn't be more wrong!  My next post was full of tips for 'non-artists' to get into art journaling.  There is a helpful podcast here that explains creative self care.

My next post was on the use of stencils in art journaling.  I explain where to buy, how to make and how to use stencils in your art journal and how I use them or lace in my art.  

My last art journaling post for January was on using gelli printing in your art journal.  There is a more in depth look at making a gelatine plate which is really helpful here and a look at different ways to make gel prints here.

Until next month

Hugs,

Ceri xx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February Art Journaling Round Up

I'm just going to say .... February is a blur!  Where did it go?  I've written 6 blog posts and filmed 6 art journal spreads for my upcoming course which starts Wednesday 4th March.  The sun is out today which is tempting me outside but I have support materials to prepare so that will have to wait. My first blog post of February was on the Joy of Art Journaling  - a little art journal page breakdown on a more cheerful note.  The next week of February I looked at Challenges of a Daily Art Journaling Practice .  I make some suggestions for approaches to connecting with your journal every day despite limitations.  There's a lovely post which breaks art journaling down into steps that could be taken each day .  Art journaling is such a supportive community.  For a brilliant list of prompts check out this  post about art journaling prompts  - prompts are a really great way to break the creative block that often arises when you have found a little bit of time and space for yo

March Art Journaling Round Up

Well, Coronavirus is HERE!  And I had something to say about that this month .... March started with a blog about mixed media art and collage  - the line is blurred between them, if there is indeed a line at all.  I made a quick animation of an art journal page about the feather footed flower bee to show a way to collage in your art journal.  Here's the animation: I also looked at art journaling as a creative process  and discuss my take on what this means.  I think I may write a follow up blog to this showing how the creative process can work in an art journal. My next post was the aforementioned response to Coronavirus .  Being stuck at home is a very different situation to a working week and many people have struggled with it.  In this post I offer a little help with details on how to go about creating an art journal page.  I keep it simple so that most people should have the resources needed.  Here's a short animation showing the steps I took: My fi